Wednesday, May 23, 2018

Just a Closer Walk

Some of you know that during one of our recent services in a memory care home, there was a report of a fire.  I do not think a fire actually erupted, but there was a gas leak in the kitchen and the community needed to be quickly evacuated.  There was a flurry of activity and movement, and a variety of languages swirled around us. We helped with the evacuation of those who had met with us for worship. I then asked the activity assistant what she needed me to do next. She replied, "Can you please walk with Frances? We need to move to the back patio."  
I know Frances, but not well, and I prayed that she would be willing to stand up, take my hand, and walk with me.  She was more than willing, so we began our slow amble across the courtyard and around the corner.  My adrenaline was fairly high at that point, but as my walking pace matched hers, I quickly felt my system beginning to normalize.  She then asked, "Well, how are things with you?" I actually did a quick inventory, and found I was able to reply, "Frances, I believe I am quite well. How about you?" She responded that she, too, was just fine. She then wanted to know about my family. Was I married? Do I have children?  Isn't it nice to be outside? We joined others on the back patio. There was, of course, anxiety present.  Dementia patients do not adjust well to abrupt changes.  So, I did what I usually do, and invited people to sing.  Shortly thereafter, the way was cleared for us to leave, and the staff assured me that they did not need me to stay (maybe they had had enough singing!) 

I will always be grateful for that walk with Frances, and as I reflect on it, I realize that some of my most meaningful moments in the ministry have surfaced when I have been able to simply walk with an elder. Slowing my pace to match theirs is profoundly therapeutic.  In a society obsessed with efficiency, taking a slow walk seems both archaic and revolutionary. I sometimes think that communities are too quick to place the old and frail in wheelchairs, but I do understand that there are concerns about falls, and those concerns are valid. However, if you have a loved one who is older, support their mobility and walk with them.  No, it is not efficient, but you may find it very good for body and soul - theirs and yours.    
Just a closer walk with thee, 
Grant it Jesus is my plea, 
Daily walking close to thee, 
Let it be, dear Lord, let it be.    
It is not known who wrote this beloved old hymn.  I just remembered that it was the theme of my ordination that took place ten years ago on May 31, 2008. I am deeply grateful to the board of SpiritCare who courageously called me, and to all of those who have journeyed with me.  It seems we still have a ways to go. Blessed be. No need to rush; let's take our time.     
     

No comments:

Post a Comment