Tuesday, April 24, 2018

Reminders

A faith community recently asked me to talk about what it means for a church to be part of the United Church of Christ. That request sent me to some of my history and polity textbooks, and I enjoyed the excursion. In one text I found a folded up email dated October 4, 2007.  The email included a Mary Oliver poem, "When I Am Among the Trees."  The reminder to bow often is always timely. In my journey with the old old ones, I often stand under the canopy of their quietude. At times, we simply bow to one another. I think that may be the deepest lesson that I have learned from the ministry that is SpiritCare - that at times people really do not need my words, but showing up respectfully can sometimes be of use.  

I shall try to go easy into this day. 
 
When I am among the trees, 
especially the willows and the honey locust, 
equally the beech, the oaks and the pines, 
they give off such hints of gladness, 
I would almost say that the save me, and daily. 
  
I am so distant from the hope of myself, 
in which I have goodness, and discernment, 
and never hurry through the world 
but walk slowly, and bow often. 
 
Around me the trees stir in their leaves
and call out, "Stay awhile." 
The light flows from their branches. 
 
And they call again, "It's simple," they say, 
"and you too have come 
into this world to do this, to go easy, to be filled
with light, and to shine."      

  

No comments:

Post a Comment