Thursday, April 5, 2018

Home

"The night will give you a horizon wider than you can see." 
David Whyte 


Now that the sky has grown overcast once more,
the mocking bird that had been driven by 
the bright moon to sing his never ending songs 
through the night  
grows quiet once more.  
I am grateful.  
His copious copying was becoming mine, 
and I worried that I would neither sleep 
nor like mocking birds 
ever again.  
Even bright moons were becoming suspect.  
 
I do not know why, 
but I think of my dreams of a dark church where I 
can never find my place. 
Where to sit? Where to stand? Is there even room?
Once I opened a door 
that revealed a space filled with barren light
 so bright 
that my eyes panicked.  
I could not stay.  
 I still wince at the thought. 
I still feel the shutting of that door. 
 
Yet, there has been a more recent dream. 
I find my way in time 
for Communion. 
The smiling pastor in her long 
white robe offers the wafer, 
 and welcomes me, 
noting I have been gone for awhile. 
Enough light, 
I find my place.

This morning I give thanks for the gray sky
and the silence of a resting mocking bird. 

I am glad to be home.   
 
SAY, April 2018
Photograph, April 2016 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment