Saturday, December 16, 2017

Psalm 75

If St. Benedict and his monks did indeed make their way through the entire Psalter every week, I think he might be rather unimpressed that I am just now reaching the half-way mark.  Nonetheless, here we are!   
 
I have learned that Psalm 75 is actually a song of justice to be read as call and response. Even with all my personal shortcomings, I do at times take refuge in the image of God as judge. I find it gives me patience.     
 
More singing and less boasting.  People raising their heads instead of hiding in the shadows.  Less boasting means less fear. Worth remembering as we try to discern the truth of our times. 
  
It is to you, O God, we give our thanks and offer up our praise. 
We speak of all you are and do, 
and call out in your name.
 
God answers back, and says, 'A time is coming to this world
when I shall be the judge, 
and I shall take what is and align it to the good. 
And though the leaders, and their lands be full of fear and dread, 
I will make its pillars sure and deep, and its foundations firm. 
To those who boast, I'll say, close up your mouths 
and boast no more, 
quit your staggering pride and bend your heads.' 
 
For justice comes and will be done on earth from East to West, 
and not a little here or something there, 
but everyone the same, in full. 
 
So I will sing this song in praise, 
to the judge high over all, 
For the necks of those that will not bend in pride will break, 
but those who walk the path of right-relatedness, 
will lift their joyous heads.      
  
Psalm 75, Psalms for Praying, abridged 
Lynn C. Bauman

   

No comments:

Post a Comment