Tuesday, April 25, 2017

Magnification

Yesterday, when I arrived at a small community dedicated to the care of those with advanced dementia, I remembered I had some lap quilts in the trunk of my car.  I thought some of the residents might enjoy their softness and bright colors, so I brought them with me. The activity director, whom I will call Lorraine, was there, but she was distracted with all that was going on. When I handed her the quilts, she was quite surprised.  She stopped, looked at them, and felt them, both front and back (the reverse side is quite soft), and expressed her gratitude. The substitute pianist then came in and announced she would need to leave right after the service. She had to leave her small dog in the car and she could not find much shade. Lorraine encouraged her to bring the dog in, and during communion the pianist dashed out the door and retrieved a very sweet and curly toy poodle. Lorraine took the dog, and sat, holding the dog in her lap. Both became quite calm. After the service, some of the residents petted the dog, but really, it was Lorraine who benefited the most from the dog's presence. She was calmer and happier. Therefore, the entire community was as well. 
  
Our time together was a reminder of all the layers that make up the ministry, and how each layer contributes to this beautiful mosaic. I cannot quilt. The dog I currently have is not confident enough to be a therapy dog. Every month I pick up printed schedules and song sheets generously created by someone else. I can't play piano, and several of our volunteers, including the one with me yesterday, sing much better than I. The board of SpiritCare does much more than I can even describe. Yet, this reliance on others is what it is to serve Christ. None of us can do everything, nor are we expected to. God, who may be thought of as a quilter of life, gathers us all together so that our service is enhanced and becomes whole. That is the vulnerability and the joy of walking this path. We learn to rely upon one another.
   
Yesterday's worship began even before I crossed the threshold of the community. I had a few minutes to spare, so I stepped into a shop, and there I spotted some large magnifying glasses. I thought of this beautiful psalm, and the reminder that together, we are more. 
 
I will bless the Lord at all times,
his praise will always be in my mouth.
Praise the Lord,
let the suffering listen and rejoice.
Magnify the Lord with me,
Together, let us exalt his name together.  
 
Psalm 34:1-3   
  


No comments:

Post a Comment