Tuesday, March 21, 2017

For Miss Annie

 I learned yesterday that Miss Annie passed a few days ago.  I already miss her smile and warm affection. While there was something timeless about her, I am sure she was younger than I. She addressed all women with the title of "Miss." She was gently valiant in facing her illness. She knew she was in God's hands, so despite the fact that she was whisked off the hospital for her final hours, I hope that peace made it into the ambulance.  I will always believe that it did. 
   
Prayer is like watching for the 
Kingfisher. All you can do is 
Be there where he is likely to appear, and
Wait. 
Often, nothing much happens. 
There is space, silence, and 
Expectancy.
No visible sign, only the 
Knowledge that he's been there, 
And may come again. 
Seeing or not seeing cease to matter. 
You have been prepared. 
But sometimes, when you've almost 
Stopped expecting it, 
A flash of brightness 
Gives encouragement.  
Ann Lewin, Candles & Kingfishers 
from Lost in Wonder, Esther de Waal   
    
Thank you, Miss Annie.  I know you are well.  
Love, 
Miss Sue Ann
   
  
The photograph was taken outside the skilled nursing community yesterday, before I learned of her passing. It reminds me of old-fashioned wall paper one might find in a very quiet home.  


No comments:

Post a Comment