Thursday, April 21, 2016

Vision

A few months I ago I went to my Facebook page and there were no pictures.  None of my photographs were there, and the news feed had text but no pictures.  This was a temporary glitch, but it did help me realize that my way of taking in the world really had changed.  I find I am needing art at this time of my life, and I am grateful that I am seeing and sharing a lot of art on Facebook.  Some rich discussions have come of this new time of my life.  
 
One morning this week, I could not find my bifocals.  I thought I remembered taking them upstairs, but I could not find them.  I was pressed for time. I needed to take the dog for a walk and  I had services to lead that morning.  I put on my reading glasses and went out the door.  As I walked, I realized how much I rely on those missing glasses.  I  was not seeing clearly.  When I returned to the house, I looked once more.  I discovered that they had fallen to the floor by the dresser. I did indeed give heartfelt thanks.  
 
I thought of that moment yesterday. One of the beloved elders got up to help with the door so another elder could get through on her motorized wheel chair.  This resulted in her chair blocking her path to her walker. After her task was completed, she paused and put her hands on the wall behind her. Without thinking much about it, I  said, "Let me bring your walker to you."  She expressed her gratitude.  "I was experiencing some anxiety,"  and she gave me a hug. I know she struggles with anxiety, but this was the first time I had ever seen it slow her down.  I thought of the anxiety I felt over my bifocals.  I cannot even drive at night without them.    
 
A major element of the aging process is learning to live with vulnerability. That is not necessarily bad news. Our vulnerabilities can bring us a deeper sense of understanding and gratitude.  When we are at our weakest, we can  actually grow stronger in our relationship with God and one another. However, we as a society need to recognize vulnerability not as some personal flaw, but as an inevitable part of life.  We are all going to need a helping hand, and probably much more, at some time in our lives.  That is why I feel discomfort when I hear the exclamations about making America strong again.  I am yearning for an America that is less anxious. Too many children and elders are struggling just to have healthy food and shelter. The same is true of our veterans.  As long as this trend continues, America will not be great, but desperate. 
  
I am grateful I was able to take this photograph on the day I was without my bifocals.  There is so much beauty in this world.  Let us tend to it and one another with care.    

  

No comments:

Post a Comment