Sunday, September 13, 2015

Psalm 85

Psalms for Praying
Nan C. Merrill   
  
Wisdom will spring up from the ground
and truth will look down from the sky.
Yes, the Eternal Giver will grant
what is good,
and the lands will yield abundantly.
Mercy and compassion are Love's way,
and will guide our footsteps
upon the path of peace. 
 
      
 
The weather has cooled and I was grateful to spend a little time in the garden yesterday afternoon.  I have much to do as we continue to make the change from a yard model to a garden.  However, yesterday I was accompanied by a butterfly, a bee, two grasshoppers, and two golden orb spiders.  Unfortunately, I did not get a close look at the bee, but I do not think it was honey bee, so I am hopeful that it was a native bee.  My plan to is plant more California natives to attract native bees. The cherry tomato plant is down to two tiny green tomatoes.  While we certainly could not have fed a family of four off that plant, we enjoyed a fairly steady harvest of sweet, golden tomatoes.  I let the basil flower, and I know at least one bee was happy with that.  The lavender is about to bloom. To say that this is a modest endeavor is quite the understatement.  The mail carrier came by as I was doing some pruning.  I think he was a bit underwhelmed by it all, but he did smile.  I apologized to the grasshoppers as I caught my breath and dispatched them by hand. They are now part of the soil.     
 
I am part of an effort here in San Leandro to bring awareness about the need to think of our yards as gardens.  Even if the only thing we ever did was to stop using pesticides, and plant some herbs like borage, lavender, basil, and rosemary, those steps would actually be great strides.   Our cooking might improve as well!  
 
May you find peace in your garden today.   So much of the world is on the run from war, storms, famine, disease, and despair.  A modest garden is heaven indeed, and I give thanks.
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment