Friday, September 4, 2015

Psalm 76

Psalms for Praying
Nan C. Merrill 
  
In loving places, O Beloved,
are You known,
your mercy extends to all the earth.
You abode has been established
in our souls,
your dwelling place in our hearts. 
You break down our walls -
our anger, fear, and doubts.
Glorious are You, more majestic
than the everlasting mountains.
That which is haughty within us
is brought low,
our greed brings us to ruin.
The violence that we harbor
turns upon ourselves.
In your loving mercy, O Beloved,
You raise us up with Love. 
 
Surely our fear-filled hearts will
one day praise You,
the gold that comes out of the ashes.
Abandon yourself to the Beloved
with confidence, and
receive the blessings of Love
from the Heart of your heart,
From the One who forgives your
transgressions,
Who welcomes you home with joy.   
   
   
I confess one of the first thoughts I had this morning was, "I am tired of this drought."  I am tired of seeing abandoned dirt, withered flowers, and browning trees.  Therefore, my heart was ripe for this psalm.  I have little choice but to abandon my fears to God.  Yes, I can carry the bucket of shower water to the garden, but much is truly out of my hands.   
 
The plant in this picture is borage.  It is not an easy plant to photograph because of the tendency of the leaves and blooms to turn downward.  However, it is very bee friendly, and it has a long history of medicinal and culinary uses.  It grows well in a Mediterranean climate, so is a good choice for us here in the bay area.   
 
Yes, there is a balm.  Thank you, God. 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment