Saturday, June 27, 2015

Psalm 13

Psalm 13 
Psalms for Praying 
Nan C. Merrill   
   
 How long, my Beloved?
Will you forget me forever?
How long will you hide your face from me?
How long must I bear this pain in my soul,
and live with sorrow all the day?
How long will fear rule my life?  
 
Notice my heart and answer me, 
O my Beloved;
enlighten me, lest I walk 
as one dead to life;
Lest my fears say, 
"We have won the day,"
Lest they rejoice in their strength.  
   
As I trust in your steadfast Love,
my heart will rejoice,
for in You is freedom.
I shall sing to the Beloved,
who has answered my prayers 
a thousand fold!  
Come, O Beloved, make your home in my heart.    
   
 
Today I decided to include the whole psalm, even with the beginning anguish. Certainly, there is much celebrating this week and I am deeply grateful.  However, there are still those who are in mourning. There are those who hunger and thirst.  Many are afraid.  Far too many are alone and are asking, "How long?"  

 If we ask God to come make a home in our hearts, we will be asked to let our faces be known.  We will asked to be revealed.  Yesterday while in a rehab hospital, I witnessed a young activity assistant play the ukulele.  She told me that In February, she decided to start teaching herself how to play, even though she had no prior musical training. As I watched the frail and poor in health turn their faces to her, and as I saw her fresh young face focus in concentration as her long fingers moved up and down the strings, I knew I was seeing the multi-faceted face of God.  There was a healing presence in the midst of all that tenderness, and I was one of the ones receiving care.  
 
Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. 
Matthew 5:3   

  

No comments:

Post a Comment