Wednesday, May 13, 2015

The Second Wednesday

My last stop today was at a lovely assisted living community.  While a very worshipful group of people used to gather with me for worship, most of them recently have either passed or moved to another community, and did so in a fairly short amount of time.  A couple of months ago I decided to simply go to the community once a month and rather than try to lead worship, I would simply sit in the activity room and talk with anyone who came into the room.  It has proven to be quite fruitful.  Sometimes a  serious discussion surfaces; sometimes our conversation is light and frivolous.   Both truly have worth.  
 
Today I walked into the very nice activity room and was greeted by Pamela, who has played piano for our services in the past.  She handed me the schedule for the day and said, "You are not on the schedule.  You were on the schedule last week, but not this week."  I invited her to sit with me and we talked for a few minutes.       
 
Esther walked in, and I greeted her as we have talked several times.  She said, "Oh, yes, I remember you. You are here to lead the Goodwill Group? I have my badge.  It took me half an hour to find it."     
 
I smiled and replied that no, I was not here to lead the Goodwill Group but that her badge was very nice.  I asked her, "What does the group do?"  
 
She responded that it been a few months since they had a meeting so she could not remember.  Pamela rolled her eyes and said, "Years."    
 
We continued to talk, and a few more residents came in.  I greeted those I knew, and those I did not.  The activity director then rushed in.  Esther reminded him that he was running late and that she had spent considerable time looking for her badge.  He was about to respond, but then looked at me in alarm.  There are advantages to wearing a collar.    
 
I smiled and said, "I think there is a scheduling snafu."  Pamela, who by then was on mission, explained that I had been on the schedule last week, but that was not right.  He looked flustered, checked the schedule,  and said he could not imagine how that could happen; he had a system.  I tried to assure him to not worry and that I had left the June schedule on the front desk, but that yes, I come, not on the first Wednesday, but the second.  He then asked, "Do you want to do your activity? It is a nice group that is gathered."  
 
I guess I will never know if I made the right decision, but lately I have been thinking a lot about trust.  I replied, "Yes, it is a wonderful group.  However, these people have gathered for the Goodwill Group. I do not ever want them to feel that they have been duped into taking part in a worship service."   He nodded his head, and I said my good-byes.  Several people asked, "When are you  coming back?"  I looked at the activity director and smiled. 

 He said, "I know. The second Wednesday of the month."  
  
I  plan on being there.   

No comments:

Post a Comment