Friday, March 27, 2015

For My Mother

On my recent morning walks I have been thinking of my mother.  She died 15 years ago, but were she still alive, I would be making arrangements to send her some of her favorite flowers, the iris.  On March 31, she would have turned 90. 
   
My mother had a Polaroid  camera that she dearly loved.  My father and I would just shake our heads because it really took terrible pictures.  But she loved it.  I think were she alive, she would very much enjoy my little camera that also makes phone calls.   Or maybe not.  Who knows?
 
I have seen so much beauty in the year that I have been photographing flowers, and that I know she would have enjoyed.  I am very grateful.  Many of you have suggested that I start a web site, and I think I shall do that. I have over 3,000 images.  I cannot start a physical garden in honor of my mother (I can't even convince the irises in the front yard to bloom), but I think a website, where people can go and experience at least some of the light, color, form, and love that I see glimpses of, is surely feasible.  And there, among the irises, or the wisteria, or maybe the roses, you might also catch a glimpse of my mother with her Polaroid.  Wave and smile.  She would like that.      
  
Happy Birthday, Mother.  Thank you.  
  
Love,
Sue Ann

      
   
Praying
by Mary Oliver

It doesn’t have to be
the blue iris, it could be
weeds in a vacant lot, or a few
small stones; just
pay attention, then patch
a few words together and don’t try
to make them elaborate, this isn’t
a contest but the doorway
into thanks, and a silence in which
another voice may speak.   

   


No comments:

Post a Comment