Friday, March 6, 2015

A Changing Season

A month or so ago I ran into a neighbor whom I have known for maybe twenty years.  We don't see one another often, but when our paths cross, I am always delighted.  He was retired when I first met him, and while he is definitely still dapper in appearance, he walks a little more slowly now, and relies on a cane.  He also is experiencing some difficulty with his hearing.  However, as always he greeted me warmly, asked about Tyler, and shared a story or two.   He has changed, but also not changed.  

Here in the Bay Area, the tender green and bright colors of spring can be seen everywhere.  Yet, just this week I took this photograph of a tree just not quite ready for the leap into this new season.  Seasons rarely, if ever, change all at once. There are the harbingers, and there are the latecomers (perhaps lateturners would be a more accurate word).  This is true of our lives as well.  We do not age all at once, and that, of course, is a blessing.  Yet, when I do my morning stretches, I am aware I am no longer in my twenties.  
   
This is the season of Lent, a very good time to remember that our physical bodies are temporary, but our souls are eternal.  We are always in the season of change, and not changed. 
  
Wishing you a wonderful time.
  
But I trust in you, O LORD, 
I say, "You are my God. 
My times are in your hands."      
Psalm 31:14-15


No comments:

Post a Comment