Monday, January 12, 2015

Eloquence

As I walked by one side of her home, I noticed she had carefully placed a good quantity of citrus peels at the base of of several of her young trees.   I thought of my neighbor Tina, who used to scatter citrus peels around some of her plants.  When I asked Tina why, she replied "Vitamins."  I smiled at the memory.  I saw Mae come out of her house wearing a bright yellow shirt.  In one hand she had a leash attached to a very happy small dog. She smiled and waved, and I returned the greeting. She kept walking in one direction; I in another. I then turned the corner and saw a lovely statue of a sitting Buddha at her front gate. The entry way to her front door was decorated with large poinsettias, several pots of blooming flowers, and some small trees with yet more citrus peels. I then looked across the street to see an older gentleman watching me.  I was concerned he might think me an intruder, so I waved and said good morning.  He crossed the street and asked, "Are you looking for Mae?"  That is when I learned her name.  I explained that I was just admiring the front of her house. 

"She is very nice. Doesn't speak any English, though. I knew the man that built this house.  He had eleven children.  The house is quite big."  We chatted a bit more, and then I took my leave.  

Looking back, I don't think I was quite honest with that helpful gentleman.  When he asked if I were looking for Mae, I really should have responded, "No, I am looking for God."

I think Mae would understand.
   
   
Into your hands I commit my spirit,
by you I have been redeemed. 

Psalm 31:5    
   

No comments:

Post a Comment