Thursday, November 6, 2014

Light

When I opened the curtains this morning, I was stunned by the beautiful light of dawn. Suddenly, my world was filled, not with emails, but with gentle pinks and golds. Tyler and Jack were just setting out on their morning jaunt. I, on the other hand, am home with a cold so I am not feeling particularly jaunty.  However, the light quickly took my mind off my sneezes and sniffles. 
 
When I was a child, the story story of finding the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow always stirred my imagination.  Not for the gold (never was particularly practical about such matters) or the leprechaun. What I dreamed of was standing at the foot of the rainbow, tilting my face upward, lifting my arms and having all those colors fall on me. I wanted to look at my skin and see, not my very ordinary pale pink skin, but every hue of the rainbow.  Such vision set me off on more than one journey to reach the foot of a distant arch of color.  Alas, it always was just a little further than I could reach.   
 
Perhaps I am still on that elusive quest.  Yesterday, standing in front of this tree, and witnessing the interplay of light and color was an experience I shall not quickly forget.  I was grateful to meet the owner of the property.  She has a couple of large bushes of Mexican sage (also known as velvet sage because the purple blossoms are incredibly soft) growing in her front yard.  You can see a bit of one in the foreground of this picture.  Because of these bushes, she also has many hummingbirds gracing her yard.  I am sure she thought I was a bit odd, but I was enthralled.  I thanked her for creating such a hospitable habitat.   May we all try to do the same.  
  
You are going to have to trust me when I tell you about the ruby-throated hummingbird dashing about.  Maybe once I get out of stunned mode, I can actually get a picture.  Maybe.  That shall be no easy task. My eye to hand reflex is fairly slow and surely there really is a limit to what we can expect an i phone camera to capture.  However, for now, I am content to simply stand at the foot of the tree and give thanks.  Such awe is enough.      
   
At once I was caught up in spirit. A throne was there in heaven, and on the throne sat one whose appearance sparkled like jasper and carnelian.    
Rev. 4:2-3   
      

No comments:

Post a Comment