Sunday, October 19, 2014

Wearing God's Love

I do not know how much Jill really gets out of the worship service.  She is quite hard of hearing, and she is blind.  However, the assistants always see that she sits close to the piano, and she loves to take communion.  After the service this week, I asked her how she was doing.  

She smiled and replied, "Well, not too good.  My heart is not strong, and my arthritis is bothering me.  I cannot see or hear.  Not good for much." She then giggled her very delightful giggle. "But, they get me up every morning and decorate me."  

I could not help but laugh.  Whoever tends to her does so very lovingly.  Her hair is always in a tidy bun.  Her make-up is done with a light touch.  She always has on a simple print dress and stockings, and old-fashioned dangling earrings that she tells me she wins in bingo.  She really is quite beautiful.    

"Jill, you bring much joy into this world. That is good for so very much."  My response seemed to surprise her and we thanked one another as we hugged.  
Today is Sunday.  The world could probably use a break from our usefulness. Let us allow ourselves be gloriously clothed in God's love, and simply be.  That is surely useful enough.
   
Let my whole being bless the LORD...
how fantastic you are! 
You are clothed in glory and grandeur! 
You wear light like a robe...
Psalm 104: 1-2    
    

1 comment: