Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Out of My Way (Or Perhaps Into)

Today was the day to visit a busy skilled nursing community in Alameda.  I then usually have a break until I am scheduled to be at a rehab hospital in San Leandro later in the afternoon. I try to use this break to pause and peruse an antique store, or like today, shop at a produce market I particularly like.  As I was putting quarters in the meter, I decided to add two more, and take a walk around the block. The weather has cooled just a bit, and my schedule, while not completely open, allowed me some time.    

I turned the corner, and walked a little further.  I was surprised to find a used book store.  I am always grateful to discover one, but I really was not going to stop.  Like most pastors, I have a lot of books, including several still waiting to be read.  However, on the shelf outside the store was a book about the work of the artist Paul Klee.  A beautiful book.  I tried to set it down twice, agreeing with myself that yes, it was a lovely book, but I really must remember that I have plenty of books.  Yet, the colors, shapes, and figures kept calling me.  I did some mental calculations.  I knew I had enough cash to buy the book, and I figured I could use my debit card at the market.   I counted out my money and claimed the book as my own. 
  
I continued on, and turned a corner again.  I was delighted to discover a charming bit of tile work at the entrance of a rather plain apartment building. I have attached a picture of some of the detail.  I could not find an artist's name, but I am so grateful that it exists. This sort of simple discovery is what leads me to walk around the block; take a different freeway exit, or park a little further from the door.  We are more than our routines, and I believe this quest to be a spiritual practice.  Certainly Jesus seemed to understand the benefits of a good wander.    
   
I did end up at the market, and bought, among other things, some beautiful peppers.  They are the color of an habernero, but shaped like a serrano.  I meant to ask if they were hot, but forgot.  I suppose, one way or another, I am in for another  surprise. 

Blessings on your journey.  May you always feel it beckoning you ever on.  


  

No comments:

Post a Comment