Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Willing

 I think Tom has been blind from birth.  He tells me he has a sister in the area, but I have never met her. I know he has lived in a convalescent hospital for over six years because this is how long I have known him. I am sure he is younger than I.   Today, when the pianist and I began our service,  there were over 60 residents in attendance.  In the middle of the congregation sat Tom.   

After the service, as I moved around the sixty or more wheelchairs to check in with people one more time, I hear Tom calling my name.  He is sitting three rows back.  It will take me a little while to reach him. 

 "Tom, I hear you.  I will be there in just a minute." 
"Thank you," he replies.  He waits.  I think he often waits.    

" Tom, it is Pastor Sue Ann. I am here.  You have a question?"   
"Yes.  About Psalm 23. What does it mean: The LORD is my shepherd.  I shall not want."?  
I did not read Psalm 23 to the congregation today, but I have in the past.  I did, however, read from John 10 about The Good Shepherd.      
 
"I think it means that not matter what, we know God is with us, so we know we have enough; even more than enough.  We are okay. We are in good hands."  
 
Tom pauses for, I think, close to a minute. It is my turn to wait.  He then says, "I am willing to believe that, Pastor Sue Ann."  
  
Visits to this community always has it challenges.  Yet, Tom's (and others') willingness to believe is always moving. 

Then there is Eileen.  Gently, but but steadily she has refused communion for the same six plus years that Tom has been willing to accept.  However, today, when I asked her the question, one more time, "Would you like communion?", she gently replied, "Yes, I think I would."     
 
I am led to green pastures.   

No comments:

Post a Comment