Monday, May 19, 2014

Come in Friendship, Go in Love

Last week, when it came time for one of my monthly visits to a home dedicated to the care of Alzheimer's patients, the regular pianist could not join me, and a substitute did not readily surface.  I decided to simply go and visit with people, and maybe help with an activity.  A couple of times during my visit, I was asked by more than one resident, "Where is your friend?".  Even Elsie, who seldom speaks, asked in her a very quiet voice, "Where is the one who..."  At that moment her words failed her, but then she moved her fingers up and down an invisible keyboard.   

There was some more conversation, and at the end of my time, the resident coordinator, who had been off work for awhile, asked that I please lead them in a hymn.  Knowing that she loves "Amazing Grace," I chose that, and several residents joined in.  Some of their voices were surprisingly strong, and we were all singing from memory.  I then concluded with a prayer and a blessing.  I had very much enjoyed my time with them, and I was quite encouraged by what I had seen and experienced.  I was touched by the fact several residents remembered me, but I was truly excited to learn that some of the residents also remembered that I have a friend and that they missed her.  They missed their friend who brings them music.    
 
At the beginning of every service, regardless of where I am,  I introduce the pianist and other team members not only as SpiritCare volunteers, but also as friends.  We know that music can help the mind stay engaged longer.  As I continue this journey in the ministry, I am also continually being reminded that our services are deeper and the connections more lasting because we come as friends. What a blessing to have work that calls us to such love.  Certainly, it is a commitment and a responsibility.  However, most of all, it is a great joy.             
 
I have told you this so that my joy may be in you and your joy may be complete. John 15:11.  

No comments:

Post a Comment