Thursday, June 20, 2024

Summer Solstice

 We Westerners don't seem to pay much attention to solstices and equinoxes, and I think we lose something when we forget to note the changing of the seasons. Yes, there is much sorrow and wreckage in the world, and dreadful heat. Fire season holds our attention much more than the solstice. Yet, today, if possible, we can remember that seasons always change.   

I keep coming across books that I feel I need to read. Edward Abbey's Desert Solitaire was just added to the list. I remember him as an essayist who did not mince words. Let us learn again to pay attention to our beloved earth, and to our own seasons. Even just looking out a window can reveal much.  Let us be brave and learn to see. 
  
"Walking takes longer than any other
known form of locomotion, except crawling.
Thus, it stretches time and prolongs life.
Life is already too short to waste on speed."

Edward Abbey






image: San Leandro, June 2024

No comments:

Post a Comment