Saturday, June 1, 2024

A Vision for This Time

 A couple of weeks ago, I came across an old copy of the hymn, "Let All Mortal Flesh Keep Silence". Since then, I  have been practicing the hymn's tune, Picardy, a French carol, on my flute. The words are credited to the Liturgy of St. James, 4th century, and are pretty somber. However, I will say that I once heard a recording of some nuns singing the hymn in French and it was quite ethereal. Their voices blended so beautifully that I forgot they were singing a capella. I had no need to know what words they were singing. I was just listening to beautiful music.  

 A few days ago, I realized that at the top left of this copy (but not in the two hymnals I primarily use) there is a reference to Habakkuk 2:20: "But the Lord is in the holy temple. Let all the earth be silent." However, what really caught my attention was Habakkuk 2:2-3, with the instructions to "Write a vision, and make it plain upon a tablet so that a runner can read it." Also about this time, I had a very simple melody running through my head. With Tyler's help, I was able to put some of the words from Habakkuk to the melody I was hearing. What surfaced was a simple chant that I find very encouraging: 
      
"There is a vision for this time; 
It does not deceive.
If it delays, wait for it. 
It will not be late." 
Habakkuk 2:2-3, abridged   
 
This morning as I was walking through the neighborhood, I again found myself reflecting upon these words. It was a beautiful morning for a walk, but I was somewhat distracted by my concern about the upcoming heatwave, and the serious implications of climate change. Suddenly, my attention was drawn to a large camellia bush directly in front of me. This blossom seemed to be saying, "Do not worry. We are here." 
Surely a vision for our time.  
       
 




  
image: June, 2024 

No comments:

Post a Comment