Monday, June 24, 2024

Monday Morning

 I am not always consistent with walking every day, but I definitely try to walk every Monday morning. Sundays are energetic days, and on Tuesdays I begin preparations for the next Sunday and other church matters. Therefore, Monday often feels to be my sabbath, as do my walks. On Monday mornings, I simply step out the front door and go.

This morning, as I often do, I first dropped by our community garden. Today, I found the garden being watered by the woman who created it. I know her because she also landscaped our property with CA native plants, and we continue to work together to bring sustainable life to our small patch of land. We had a short conversation full of laughter, and she expressed some concern that no one ever comes into the garden. I assured her that while I have never seen anyone else in the garden, I visit it at least a couple of times a week. I love seeing what the plants are doing and what they are bringing forth. She seemed so happy to hear that, and she then bequeathed a beautiful green zucchini to me. Yes, it is the season. As we watched a bee visit the blossoms that are still on the plant, we talked about the green beans growing on the fence behind them. I then wished her well as she prepares to travel south to visit her godchild. We hugged, and I walked on, taking in the sights and colors of what is growing in the neighborhood.

Towards the end of the walk I passed by the house where my mother-in-law once lived. The father of the family who now lives there was in the driveway refurbishing a door. I had never seen him before, but he said hello, and we began to talk about the house. I said that what I loved about the house was that you could open the front and back doors and almost always a lovely breeze would drift through. He enthusiastically agreed and mentioned that his father lived in the house for many years and he had always felt comfortable in it.

When his father died, the house was passed on to his sister and him. He was able to buy his sister's share, and he said he felt very blessed to have the house. I definitely felt that was true for him; he looked happy. He then smiled and admitted that with just one bathroom, the house was just a little too small for his wife, four daughters, one who is now 12, and him. He then added that he is a carpenter, and a new addition was in the plans. "This house has good bones," he added. I had to agree. It was a warm conversation that left me smiling. I believe Tyler's mom would have liked him, although the reminder that it has been some years since her passing surprised me. I appear to be at the stage when everything in the past seemed to have happened just a couple of years ago. We both then said our good-byes and called each other by name. I then walked the last block to my front door. Actually, the whole walk was kind of a front door walk. I do appreciate being able to simply step outside and go, and of course, to return.
Blessings on your week. If you can, get out and say hello to those humans, plants, and animals who live close to you. The more we connect with the life around us, the healthier we and our communities will be. May we remember how we tend to ourselves, one another, and the earth are often one in the same. That, to me, is harmony. God cannot be separated from this sacred song.
Regarding the photograph: I do not know the name of this plant that is growing in a neighbor's yard. It seems to do well here, and I have always loved the color of the blossoms. The buds are fascinating. In the sunlight, they have the appearance of metal. This neighbor lives just a few doors down, so I get to enjoy viewing the flowers that appear in her yard pretty much year round. There is always something colorful growing there. She says her mother taught her to garden, so how could she not plant? I knew her mother and must agree.





No comments:

Post a Comment