Friday, March 29, 2024

Travel Prologue, Part 1, Practicing

Some of you know that Tyler and I bought a used Tacoma truck at the end of last year. In January, we drove to Harker Outdoors in Salt Lake City and had a wedge camper put into place. We both really love this truck, and I have been driving it around town to see if I really feel comfortable with the idea that  it may be time to sell my Elantra. Surely three cars for two people, even when one is electric, is one too many.  I am beginning to rest a little easier with the decision. However, sometimes I feel I should at least be dressing a little more Gypsy-ish. Of course the images of what I might look like are left over from the movies I watched as a child when the women, all beautiful and confident, had long dark hair, golden hoop earrings, and always wore colorful dresses and scarves. I remember them as being rather fiery tempered, opinionated, and absolutely confident. Somehow, a Land's End turtleneck, black pants, and sneakers seem all too ordinary as I motor about.   
This morning after tending to a couple of errands, I stopped by our local produce market. I parked in front of the donut shop which is right next door. I got out and opened the back so I could get a couple of shopping bags. A man who was backing out of the spot next to me stopped, rolled down his window,  and asked if what I had was actually "one of those campers that open up and has a sleeping bed."  I replied yes, and he ended the conversation with "That is so cool!" I had to smile. Cool and I typically do not reside in the same sentence.  
As my asparagus, fresh bread, goat cheese, and other items that suggest that spring is really here were being checked, I saw another man, probably a few years older than me, pause by the camper and take a long look at it. I spotted him again when I was getting into the truck and he had entered the donut shop. He looked surprised. I suspect he did not expect to see a slightly aged and rather ordinary looking woman getting into the driver's seat. I was hoping that I did not run into anything as I backed out. I did not want to interfere with my new found parking lot cred. 
I still get nervous backing up, and that includes backing into our driveway. Tyler's work car is electric, so he parks in one part of the driveway where he can recharge the car. Our house was built in 1939, and while we have one of the few driveways that can hold two cars side by side, the space is not expansive. This morning as I turned onto our street, I thought that I should at some point ask Tyler to critique my approach in case there is something I can do to make it a little easier on myself, and maybe not worry the neighbors.  Despite my concern, I successfully pulled in after two repositionings.  As I was getting out of the truck, Tyler, who unbeknownst to me had watched the landing from the upstairs window, surprised me by opening the garage door and saying, "All you need is confidence. You had it the first time."  
It is raining today, and I am grateful to be home. However,  I am also dreaming of crossing the Sierras, and exploring again the eastern side. And maybe actually seeing a big-horned sheep and visiting the home of Mary Austin. And then driving a little further. Right now we must balance work schedules that are different, and our responsibilities. Yet, I also know we cannot postpone the dreams of travel too long unless we opt for a cruise ship. That, at least as of now, does not intrigue us. It is the desert, and then a little further, that calls.   





   
image:  from January 2024. Yes, today the camper is much cleaner. Hopefully, for not much longer. However, I must give thanks for the rain.     

No comments:

Post a Comment