Friday, May 8, 2020

Vision

Yesterday, I washed my car.  We have two large trees in front of our house and at times they get messy. Since my car now often sits in the driveway for days without being moved, it slowly gets covered by tree debris and dust.  Normally, I would take my car to the local car wash, a family owned business that has been in the neighborhood since the 50s.  I enjoy sitting on the bench and watching the comings and goings of the customers and the people who work there.  Sometimes I read, but usually I am content just to sit in the experience.  However, the car wash is closed now, so I brought out the bucket, hose, and brush and washed it myself. A very different experience, but not unpleasant. I look forward to being able to see clearly out my back window when I drive to the produce market.

Supporting family owned businesses and food producers is important to me,  and I see this as a spiritual practice.  Humans typically do better when we are in relationship with one another, preferably not with masks on, but that is a precaution we must now take. Zoom is proving to be helpful in many ways, but one of its most important offerings  is that the technology allows us to see one another's faces.  We are in a time of tremendous change and upheaval.  I am hopeful for the future, but like most people,  I have concerns as well.   One of the lessons we are learning (or perhaps relearning) is that we are connected to one another in deep and far reaching ways. When there is a break or tear in these connections, the rending of our social garment can spread far. The same is true for the environment. Yet, we also see that both can be healed.      

I find myself thinking about the Apostle Paul.  I believe he, too, missed being with those he cared about. He travelled great distances, and was often detained by imprisonment or house arrest. Yet, he maintained relationships with prayer and writing letters. We are doing much the same thing. While there have been technological advances in how we can reach out, I do not think our basic need for relationships has changed.  We need that sense of connection with one another and with our own divine souls. This allows us to experience the Christ among us and provides the stability we need for a creative and generous life.  I pray we always seek those connections in healthy, loving ways.  In Romans 8:38-39 Paul wrote, "I am convinced that nothing can separate us from God’s love in Christ Jesus our Lord: not death or life, not angels or rulers, not present things or future things, not powers or height or depth, or any other thing that is created."  An unwavering truth is that we eternally belong to God and to one another.  Let us trust and accept that, and go forward in love.     
 
Shop local when you can.  A neighbor may be depending on you.     
  
Photograph was taken at Villa Maria del Mar in Santa Cruz a few years ago.  I hold those good sisters and their beloved staff in my prayers.  
   



No comments:

Post a Comment