Tuesday, August 7, 2018

A Hidden Thereness

On Sunday afternoon, shortly after a call to Tyler telling him I was stopping by the store on my way home,  my phone battery died.  I was surprised, but then I had not been keeping an eye on it. I am not very good with making phone calls, especially just to sit and chat, so when the screen went dark my first concern was not of a missed call, but of this photograph. Would it be lost? I then felt some regret that I had not sent it that morning. Yet, after a short period of continued darkness, the phone did charge. Nothing was lost, but something was gained, but that something is difficult to describe. It was simply a moment when what I was expecting to see was not there, at least in a way I could experience.  That moment with its emptiness/non-emptiness seems worth savoring: a brief time of remembering that neither God nor our souls can be boxed in by our expectations, however much we want to bend us both into those narrow corners.  
 
Pictures of lilies are quite common this time of year, so I do recognize that I am not sharing something rare. However, the colors still astound me year after year. Therefore, this morning I send this to you with gratitude.      
  

No comments:

Post a Comment