Saturday, November 18, 2017

Psalm 71

Dr. M. is mourning the loss of the one whom he called by name, but also described in that beautiful old-fashioned phrase, his "lady friend". He is also losing his eyesight as glaucoma is turning his world gray. He can can no longer see well enough to draw, so he is left without that longtime companion as well. His grief and age are deep enough that I wonder how long he will stay, a question that only the One he calls Jesus can answer.  For now, we simply come together to talk and pray. I read scripture aloud, and we ponder this achy thing called love that will always ask us to let go.            
  
   
In my old age, my God, I take my final stand, 
for my last refuge is in you. 
You are for me a mountain fortress set high upon a rock, 
your transcendence all the safety that I need. 
With this around me let me never be ashamed 
as you correct the balances of life 
that restore and save the world. 
For in you alone there's hope in life, 
which since my youth I've known. 
And from the moment of my birth 
that hope has been my strength, 
and it possible in the midst of all that is, 
to offer praise. 
Yes, it is true, you've made me taste 
great trouble Lord. 
The deep adversities of life I know by heart.
But you restore and keep me still, 
and bring me from those deep despairing 
places on earth. 
Each step I've made, you've strengthened me, 
your loving arms have held me close, enfolding me. 
So even now I'll take up instruments of song
and with feeble voice I'll sing my way 
to journey's end.    
  
Psalm 71, "Wisdom's Aged Song", abridged  
Ancient Songs Sung Anew, 
Lynn C. Bauman  
 
   

1 comment: