Saturday, December 13, 2014

Blooming

At the end of the hallway sat Johnnie in her wheelchair. Ont the wall behind her was posted a picture of a large cartoon snowman.  She looked part of a very festive picture.  She also looked quite happy to see us, and reached her arms out to give us big hugs.  I could not help silently reflecting on this miracle.  For years, she would often be in what she called "the dark place."  She then could barely greet us, if at all. 

 We went into the activity room together.  A young activity assistant whom I had not seen in a couple of months greeted me with, "Pastor Sue Ann! I passed my exams!  I am official!"  I was delighted to hear of his accomplishment, and we talked for a few minutes about his plans. Later, as I began to serve communion, one resident who has a serious repetitive motion behavior, seemed to really want communion. The assistant gave the okay (sometimes there are swallowing and choking issues).  I was surprised to see her take communion, close her eyes for a few moments, and then simply rest.  
 
After worship, I walked among the group as I always do.  Another assistant said, "Laurie wants to talk to you." It was the same resident.  Again, her constant motion paused, and she asked, with tears in her eyes, "Will I go to heaven?"  I assured her that she would most definitely go to heaven.  "Will I go in this body?"  Feeling pretty confident in my belief that her body causes her quite a bit of discomfort, I replied, "I think our bodies will wear out and there will come a time when we do not need them." 
 
"Will we be together?"  

Oh, yes, we will all be together. Along with everyone you have ever loved.  

  "And Jesus?"  

Oh, yes, and Jesus.  We will all be together.  
    
After we said our good-byes, the volunteers and I walked into the second home, and many of the older residents who love to sing with us were sitting in the lobby.  I asked the assistant if we were singing there.  

"I am sorry.  There is another caroling group coming.  There was a mistake with the schedule. Do you mind singing with those who can't easily get around?"  I assured we had no problem with that, and we walked into the activity room.  I was delighted to see Lilian. She loves to sing, but her crackly voice never gets above about basement level.  I love to sing with her because she is so happy to sing.  Do we sing in key?  Not even close.  Lillian and I don't get wrapped up in such details.  

Then, again in a day of miracles, something beautiful began to happen. As we sang, the room started to fill with those who had been moved to the lobby. You see, they wanted to sing with us, pray with us, and laugh with us as they do every month.  Fortunately, the other carolers were running late and all worked out.   
   
I think it is like that in heaven.  Some of will arrive a little later, and some of us will arrive a little earlier.  However, I think God has us all singing, praying, and laughing right on time.  Maybe even right on key.  

 Blessed be.  
 
   
When we all get to heaven, 
what a day of rejoicing that will be!
When we all see Jesus, 
we'll sing and shout the victory!
                                   - Eliza E. Hewitt, 1898



     

No comments:

Post a Comment