Monday, March 31, 2014

Conversations of Home

Due to an event this past weekend, I was able to spend some extended time in one of the homes dedicated to the care of Alzheimer's patients. Mozelle was there, and at one point I went over to introduce a volunteer to her.  She took my hand and said, "I believe you have been blessed with health and beauty."  
"Mozelle, I am grateful that yes, I am healthy.  I am not too sure about the beauty part."  
"Yes, you are darling.  And you are coming into a lot of money.  About $25,000."   
"Why, that is good news!"  
"Yes, and you can come and stay with me in Bombay.   We have a beautiful home there and you can have your own apartment. Your friend can come too.  Bombay is a very peaceful city.  Nothing bad ever happens there.  We can play poker.  Not for a lot of money, just $10,000 or so."  
"Mozelle, I am not playing poker with you.  You will win all my money!"   
She laughed her wonderful laugh and replied, "You are wise, darling. Now, who is your beautiful friend?"     
 
Mozelle did grow up in what was then Bombay.  As I think about this conversation with her, I am grateful that she carries with her this image of a lovely home in a peaceful city.  In this home (the local one), I have also heard stories of Idaho, Alaska, Pennsylvania, 17 Mile Drive and a small church in the forest.  A volunteer asked me how do I know what is true.  That is easy. It is all true. About that time I heard a resident ask a staff member, "Where are we?"  I think that question can, at times, be a little more difficult.  However, the wise assistant kept that answer simple as well, and we all journeyed on.      


Do not let your hearts be troubled. You have faith in God; have faith also in me. In my father's home are many dwelling places (John 14:1-2).     
  
Blessed be.  

No comments:

Post a Comment