Friday, April 5, 2013

Claimed

A few of you know that I have been awarded a scholarship for a one week training with Memory Bridge (www.memorybridge.org), a foundation dedicated to nurturing respect and communication with those with dementia.  I am very happy about this, as their dvd and website helped me settle into my ministry with SpiritCare.  A statement in the reward letter mentions the hope of enriching and deepening "all of our understandings of the profound relational needs that we humans share, no matter our cognitive capacities."    In so many ways this is the hope of the ministry of SpiritCare, and I look forward to the last week in June.  
 
Mozelle lives in a home dedicated to the care of those with Alzheimer's.  It seems she has traveled extensively, and she tells me that she has lived in Bethlehem and Mumbai.  Her cognitive challenges are not readily apparent until you hear her answer just about every question with, "We are Jewish. Every one of us."  I admire that deep rooted identity.  I may yearn to hear more of her story, but she does not seem to yearn to tell it.  She expresses herself through her love, faith, and cultural identity.  That is where she wants, and deserves to be met.  It really is a delightful meeting ground.  
  
When the pianist and I are preparing to leave, Mozelle will often say, "We are all Jewish here, you know. But you bring us love, so that it okay.  Give me a kiss, darling, and do come back."    I admire her for having adopted everyone around her as Jewish.  By doing so, she has made all the residents and staff her family.  Therefore, she is home, and free to love everyone, even a couple of wandering Christians who drop by to sing and pray. 

 Blessed be.    
  

No comments:

Post a Comment