Wednesday, August 10, 2011

I Singing, Ms. Edna Leading


Yesterday, the pianist called in sick at the last minute.  However, the folks in the convalescent hospital are always good sports about singing a capella, and I keep some song sheets with well known hymns that I can boldly lead in my three note range.  Never in my wildest dreams did I think I would ever be doing such a thing, but I think this leap of faith has indeed done me some good.  
   
I do not think Ms. Edna has ever missed a service.  She is quite reserved, and sits very still and upright.  She seldom speaks, and I do not think I have ever seen her singing.  She will not even take a song sheet, but I can always tell when she loves a hymn.  She will rock side to side ever so slightly, and sometimes will even quietly clap her hands.  Yesterday, as we finished up with Amazing Grace, she raised her right hand and kept time - pretty rowdy behavior for Ms. Edna.   I knew she was happy. 
   
I am pretty certain she used to sing.  Her husband was a pastor, and she has told me more than once that they would sometimes need to lead singing without a pianist.  Yesterday, she told me, "That last verse sums it up.  When I was a child I was baptized in a pond, and I have tried to walk with the Lord every day since then.  I know one thing:  no matter what our denomination, we go together.  Our bodies will always go where they need to go, but this helps our spiritual life to keep going in the right direction- together."  
 
I was formally baptized in a church, but I think my real baptism happens in this hospital.  Here, where Ms. Edna keeps time.  Here where Gary grows more ill, but always says, "I love you."  I think those will surely be his last words.  Here where the soft spoken Mrs. Chin worries about her husband. "He is almost 96 now..."  Here, where Darlene has scowled at me for close to four years, but yesterday, she smiled.  Here, where I muster my courage and sing.      
  
Thro' many dangers, toils, and snares, 
I have already come. 
"Tis grace hath brought me safe thus far,
And grace will lead me home.    
  

1 comment: