Saturday, July 16, 2011

Echoes

n a few hours I will be officiating at a wedding of a lovely, young couple.  I have enjoyed getting to know them.   They have each written their vows, and I am the only one who has read both.  I am encouraged to see how similar the wording is.  I pray this really is a sign that their hearts are echoing one another.    
Today, many pictures will be taken, and I cannot help but see these pictures on a distant wall sixty or seventy years from now.  I lean closer, and wait. I sense a beautiful ancient story coming round once more.  
      
  
 
The minute I heard my first love story
I started looking for you,
Not knowing how blind that was.

Lovers don’t finally meet somewhere.
They have been in each other all along. 
 
-  from Rumi, The Book of Love, translation by Coleman Barks
   

No comments:

Post a Comment