Monday, June 6, 2011

Holding

This morning finds me sorting through a large box of bulletins, church newsletters, and annual reports that I have been accumulating for several years now.   The box has to go in order to make room for a sleeping crate for a rescue standard poodle we will be picking up in a couple of days.  
While it would have been easy to simply throw the box and its contents into the recycling bin, I am unable to do that.  Yes, some of these bulletins have already gone that way, but others will continue to be saved - especially those marking special occasions and services.  As I sort through this material, I am amazed at how many words have been contained in this box.  
Many faith communities are moving away from bulletins, and most have given up on printed newsletters.  Yet, there are those individuals who like the sense of holding something in his or hand hands.  Certainly, many elders whom I serve often want to keep the song sheets  we pass out.  I think it is an attempt to hold on to the worship and the music, to somehow keep that sense of immediacy alive after the good-byes have been said.     
As I peruse and sort through this box, however, I am reminded that worship is something that can only come fully come alive and be kept alive in community.  It is more than words on a page, and is more than a solitary act.  It is something that must be returned to time and time again.  And that repetition of the "sounding joy" is a blessing - and certainly is at the heart of SpiritCare.   
I understand that not everyone is drawn to worship, but if you are, this Sunday would be fine time to take part.   You can always join me - just give me a call.   Let us all help one another make room, not for boxes of words and memories, but to the nowness of God's love.       
  
As we gather
May God's spirit move within us.
As we gather
May we glorify God's name. 
Knowing well that as our hearts begin to worship,
We'll be blessed because we came. 
Yes, we'll be blessed because we came.  
                                                              - adapted from As We Gather
                                                                 by Mike Fay and Tom Coomes    

1 comment: