Saturday, April 9, 2022

A Prayer for Ukraine and the World

 This morning I read a devotion written by Rev. John Edgerton that began with a verse from Psalm 20. That sent me on a search through various translations of the Psalm.  As I perused my books, I was surprised to discover how much I needed the word victory this morning. 

The thrill of victory... Like everything, it has two sides, and it can be as dark and harmful as any addiction. Yet, today, it seems appropriate to pray for the victory for a country  being overrun by another's greed for unlimited power.  May those eroding waves of violence retreat, leaving only calm waters in their wake.  
Let us pray. 

May God grant you your heart's desire, 
and fulfill all your plans. 
May we shout for joy over your victory, 
and in the name of our God set up our banners.
May the LORD fulfill all your petitions. 

Psalm 20:4 NRSV







     
Rev. John Edgerton, Lenten Devotional, The Long Haul, United Church of Christ

image:  Redwood City, April 2022    
As I stood under this scarlet trumpet vine, I heard a beautiful bird song. At the top of a large tree nearby, I spotted a tiny bird whose song seemed to be coming from a much larger bird. 
This morning I realized that its voice came from the heart of God. No wonder it soared.   

No comments:

Post a Comment