Saturday, November 28, 2020

Chapter 8, Tao Te Ching

 The supreme good is like water, 

which nourishes all things without trying to. 
It is content with the low places that people disdain. 
Thus it is like the Tao.  
 
In dwelling, live close to the ground. 
In thinking, keep to the simple. 
In conflict, be fair and generous. 
In governing, don't try to control.  
In work, do what you enjoy. 
In family life, be completely present.  
 
When you are content to be simply yourself 
and don't compare or compete, 
everyone will respect you."
   
This morning, as I sat with this chapter, I remember a day, almost two decades ago, that I spent sitting on the banks of a river.  Tyler and some friends went rafting, but I opted not to go.  I am sure I read some, and probably walked a bit. Those details I do not remember.  What I do remember was the continual interplay of water and light.  The light glistened and seemed to be lightly touching the water, almost like a gentle caress, as the river passed by.  I am grateful to be reminded of that tranquil day of solitude.        
 
I do not have a picture of a river.  This photograph was taken at Lake Chabot.  I had just finished physical therapy for my knee, and I so loved being able to do a short hike on a beautiful day.  I believe a hike is in order later today.           






No comments:

Post a Comment