Wednesday, August 24, 2016

Seeking Shelter

Earlier this week I walked into the activity room of a home dedicated to the care of Alzheimer's patients.  I greeted Beth, the normally very friendly assistant.  She looked at me for a couple of seconds, and then asked, "It is not today, is it?"  I smiled and confirmed that yes, it is indeed today.  She rushed to apologize saying she had simply forgotten. While that is not like her, we  made a few adjustments, and worship commenced.  I tried to assure her no harm was done. I did not realize that while I thought that what happened was no big deal, to her it was yet another sign of things crumbling around her. 
 
As I was leaving, she joined me at the front door and said, "I am sorry. My stress is showing." She went on to tell me that she and her two teenage children, one in high school and one in community college, just learned they have to be out of their apartment next month.  The landlord wants to do some upgrades.  She is a single mother who does not drive, and finances are tight.  I hugged her and we talked a bit more.  I told her I would be praying for her.  She breathed a little easier and thanked me. However, I know that does not alleviate her challenges.   
 
As the economic disparity continues to grow in the Bay Area, people like Beth are really struggling to make ends meet. People who want to do a good job.  Who want to take care of their families.  Who often deeply love those they tend to, despite the fact that the work can be difficult and isolating.  The ministry that we do in these communities is not just for the residents. Because we show up as friends, many of the staff find encouragement when we are present.  They hear, time and time again, that God's love is for all, and this is true regardless of whether their faith runs deep, is just beginning, or just seems impossible in the face of life's concerns.  No matter what, love keeps showing up, and I am convinced love will ultimately show us the way.  
          
 
They drink from the river of your low places. 
You are the fountain of life 
and the source of enlightenment 
by which we know things. 
 
Hold close to those who are your own. 
Shelter them with honest hearts. 
Let them experience victory.  
 
Psalm 36:8-9 
Rejoice, Beloved Woman

 

No comments:

Post a Comment