Friday, August 19, 2016

Patience at the Gate

A few days ago I visited someone in a skilled nursing community that I had not visited since the beginning of my time with SpiritCare. I had hoped to start the ministry there,  but the director at that time just was not interested in a worship service.  
 
 I don't think the home has changed much at all in ten years, except that now the front door is locked.  As I approached the threshold, a caregiver said, "Sweetie, please wait here." In addition to being the greeter, she was maneuvering one of the residents off a bus and into the home.  The resident looked at me and let out a stream of expletives that was surprising.  The caregiver stopped, ask the resident to apologize, and she grumpily complied.  Truthfully, I was more miffed at being called "Sweetie" than by the unfiltered language.  However, I also realized we were all doing the best we could. Wearing a collar continues to teach me patience, and I am grateful.    
 
Eventually, I found the person I was trying to visit, and her laughter brought back many warm memories of our time together in choir years ago.  As we got caught up on some of our comings and goings, she mentioned the resident who is always cursing.  "I finally turned to her one day and told her that it was time for her to learn a new song."  She laughed her delightful laugh and said since then the woman had not said anything at all to her. She is fine with that silence.  
 
Even when dementia is not present, all of us run the risk of repeating the same statements over and over, and too often our thoughts are not positive.  Today, let us follow the psalmist's encouragement to enter the gates of today with songs of thanksgiving and joy (Psalm 100).  Let us try singing a new song.   
  
Live this life 
and do whatever is done, 
in a spirit of Thanksgiving. 
 
Abandon attempts to achieve security; 
they are futile.    
 
Give up the search for wealth;
it is demeaning. 
 
Quit the search for salvation;
it is selfish. 
 
Come to comfortable rest 
in the certainty that those 
who participate in this life
with an attitude of Thanksgiving
will receive its full promise. 
 
John McQuiston II  


Attachments area

No comments:

Post a Comment