Friday, August 23, 2024

Moving Into the Day

 While I am not a gavel to gavel sort of convention viewer, I did watch and weep my way through some of the Democratic National Convention. We have not owned a television in years, so what I did watch was on my laptop while sitting on the couch, giving me a sense that I was not so much viewing it, but reading it -  a very pleasant sensation. 

Being in this world at this time is teaching me that there is much about Christianity and democracy that I have too long taken for granted. I, like others I am sure, am in the process of reclaiming my ideals that are centered in a deep knowing that we all are called to freedom. However, that freedom must entail our being in relationship with what is often referred to in the Bible as the world, and with one another. Yes, my eyes can see only a small part of the world at any given moment. Fortunately, the heart and the imagination know a much more far reaching vista. They offer the assurance that God is still clearing a miraculous way so humanity can continue to grow into our full humanness. 
The days ahead will be full of challenges and more than likely some attempts at deceit and even treachery. Totalitarians have historically exhibited a low tolerance for people full of hope and dreams that are not centered on the ones yearning for absolute power. Yet, let us refuse to accept those small confining cages with bars that have been constructed out of hate and fear. Even if they trap us for a bit, they cannot hold us for long. We are so much larger than they can possibly know.   
               


The small man
builds cages for everyone
he
knows.

While the sage,
who has to duck his head
when the moon is low,
keeps dropping keys all night long
for the
beautiful
rowdy
prisoners.

~ Hafiz   


      
 

 
  
This image is from 2016. A neighbor had invited us to an afternoon backyard party. I walked past his garage and noticed this beautiful lock. His house had been built in the early 30s. The neighbor knew nothing about the history of the lock.   

No comments:

Post a Comment