Thursday, September 26, 2019

Pondering the Beatitudes

"Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they will be filled."   
Matthew 5:6    
 
In my ministry with SpiritCare, I read from the Common English Bible.  In that translation, the Beatitudes read "Happy are those..."  The change still surprises me, but we should be surprised by Scripture. It is good not only to be surprised, but confused, and even angered.  As long as we stay engaged, some truths will emerge for each of us.   Bible study groups can be very helpful.  One of the elders I serve tells of a Bible study group that he was a part of for over twenty years.  He is quite frail now, but I do believe he was filled by the rhythm of regularly coming together to read, study, and share with people he loved.      
   
I am trying to let the Beatitudes guide my walk.  Yesterday I was reminded that when I am feeling impatient, I am anything but meek.  That was helpful.  I also learned something about being "poor in spirit,"  that willingness to accept my life just as it is, knowing I am on a journey.  This is one of the lessons of the Beatitudes.  I hear Jesus saying, "Keep going; this moment does not have the last word.  There is more."  And that more is God.         




No comments:

Post a Comment