Saturday, March 16, 2019

Words of the Day

In my Lenten travels with Julian of Norwich, two words continue to surface: contrition and courteous.  Contrition is a state of remorse.  This state, while not neccesarily a pleasant place to be, is essential to healthy relationships, as is courtesy. Julian believed God and Christ to be courteous. Both ever present, but coming to us only when invited.  There are some beautiful paintings inspired by the passage from Revelations 3:20:  "Behold! I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in and eat with that person, and they with me."   Most modern translations do not include the word behold, but it, too, is a beautiful word implying much more than the passing glance we too often utilize as we move through our lives.  When we behold something, gazing at it tenderly, we are indeed opening the door to God's ever present love. 
   
Yesterday found me in Pleasant Hill at a day long meeting.  During the lunch break, I felt the need to clear my head and heart. The sunshine beckoned, and I took a walk.  I was surprised to come across a street called Julian Way, and I felt the need to explore. It turned out to be a street filled with large contemporary houses that held little interest for me. Feeling some disappointment, I turned around to return to the meeting.  I then noticed a beautiful rosemary bush glistening in the sun.  It was filled with blossoms, pollen, and honey bees.  Such an encouraging sight to behold.  Julian Way did hold a gift for me. 

Julian lived in a troublesome time that included the plague, The Hundred Years War, and the burning of those considered heretics.  Here I find strength, as we, too, must find our way in our own troubling times of discord, violence, ignorance, and destruction. Times that call for contrition, even when so little of it can be found.  Julian learned to trust her visions of Divine Love even in the midst of all that seemed so wrong.  We, too, are called to do the same. How else can healing be ushered in?   
  
I leave you with a prayer from All Will Be Well compiled by Richard Chilson.  I have been sitting with it for a couple of days now, grateful for the Lenten call to linger.  

Courteous Lord Jesus, 
help us to acknowledge and accept 
all our failings, sins, and weaknesses, 
trusting that you use them to our good 
and through them draw us closer to you. 
May our contrition make us clean, 
may our compassion make us ready, 
and may our longing for you make us worthy. 
At all times, preserve us in the knowledge 
that your peace and love abide always in us, 
living and working, even when we have 
no feeling of peace or love.  
   
  

No comments:

Post a Comment