Thursday, March 7, 2019

A Prayer from Julian

In the book, An Explorer's Guide to Julian of Norwich, Veronica Mary Rolf includes a small glossary of Julian's terms (yesterday I mentioned "evencristens" or fellow Christians).  I am so intrigued by this language Julian created so she could write what she was experiencing - a language that was completely God centered.  Language is something that continually changes.  Furthermore, language is situational. Words that are spoken at our workplace may be different that the words we speak at home. Sometimes the language we hear spoken on our streets seems coarse and even disturbing.  A beautiful Lenten practice could be to think about our own personal language.  What is it that we talk about?  Are we letting our soul speak?  Do we need some new words?   What words are in your glossary?    
  
In this prayer Julian uses the noun "worshippe," meaning honor, good reputation, renown.  May our lives help give God a good reputation!  True, God may not need it, but humanity certainly does.   
  

God of thy goodness, give me thyself. 
For thou art enough to me, 
and I may ask nothing that is less  
that may be full worshippe to thee.
And if I ask anything that is less, 
ever will I be wanting. 
But only in thee do I have all. 
 
    

No comments:

Post a Comment