Tuesday, September 15, 2026

Honoring the Body

 The first thing I do in the morning is look out our bedroom window and gaze at the eastern sky,  At night, I look west. For the past two nights we have been able to witness a large waxing crescent moon on the horizon. Last night I could see the outline of the full moon to come. I know in truth the moon is always full, but I find it a blessing that we experience phases of the moon as we orbit the sun. During my morning sun salutations today, I was bathed in a tender pink light that continued to grow. There is peace and therefore healing in all of this - perhaps because we humans have always gazed at the horizon and simply watched the light change morning and night.  I say watch, but really we not only watch, we take in and experience those changes. They are a part of us. We are of earth and sky. When we forget that, or choose to ignore, or believe we can dominate all of life, we do so at great peril.    

This summer I have been blessed to do some guest preaching. At one church, I received a gift of fresh eggs. At another, garden grown tomatoes. Yesterday a friend picked some Asian pears from his tree and brought them to us. I know that tree but I did not know that he was the one who planted it as a gift for his wife. The fruit is as sweet as he promised.  
   
​"I bind unto myself today
The virtues of the starlit heavens,
The glorious sun's life giving ray,
The whiteness of the moon at even,
The flashing of the lightning free,
The whirling wind's tempestuous shocks,
The stable earth, the deep salt sea
Around the old eternal rocks.​"

~ from the hymn "Saint Patrick's Breastplate"​ 
​Friends of Silence    
    
​Let us bind  ourselves to the generosity of earth and sky.     

  
      

 



  ​image:  San Leandro, September, 2026.  No pink, but beautiful full light
  


No comments:

Post a Comment