Friday, September 23, 2022

Eucharist

 This morning, I met with a small group who live and work in a community dedicated to caring for those with dementia. After the worship service, I began, as I have done for 14 years and 11 months, to gather the song sheets after the service, and to thank those who had been with us. I paused in front of a woman who was in a gurney. During our service, she did not move, nor did she open her eyes. As I stood before her, I placed my hand above her head and quietly said a blessing. She still did not stir. Yet, afterwards, as I was trying to corral our song sheets into a large envelope, a caregiver came to take her to another location. As they moved past me, the resident opened her surprisingly bright brown eyes. She smiled a beautiful smile, and then said, "Thank you."  Her light filled the room and in that moment, I knew only love. I smiled in return, and voiced my own thanks. We then waved good-bye to one another.   

Thus ended my time as a paid staff member of SpiritCare. I do have one more community to visit today, but it is one of the local communities that I will continue to visit as a volunteer. I have been blessed to serve in the eternal presence that is God. The time has been filled, and will continue to be filled,  with laughter and tears and many amens. When I first began with SpiritCare, I told a colleague that I had been kidnapped by Jesus. Today, I was reminded he is still having a say.  

Thank you, Jesus.  

   


      image: August lily, Oakland, CA

No comments:

Post a Comment