Friday, August 19, 2022

Chance Encounters

Yesterday, when I received this poem, my heart soared. It has been awhile since I have seen a lizard, but I, too, grew up on a land of many lizards. Tarantulas, too. Ok, I admit that tarantulas still give me the willies, but what a coincidence! I am not familiar with the work of Alberto Rios, but my heart soared again when I learned that he holds the title of  Inaugural State Poet Laureate of Arizona. I am not sure that all of that should be capitalized, but seems like it should be. He does not know it, but he and I both will turn 70 in September. Suddenly, I am possessed with the idea to go to Arizona to study writing, and maybe even do some!  
I do not have a single photograph of a lizard. This well camouflaged roadrunner must do. I was in Chino Valley, Arizona last year when I was blessed to spot this elusive creature. We are all knitted together. You and I and all that breathes. Surely rocks breathe in some mysterious way.  Maybe I will study science, too.   
  
Today is Friday. As I mentioned last week, Friday is a day I devote to looking for a different view. Perhaps this is news meant only for me, but I share anyway. I love this poem.   
Wishing you all love and laughter today, and always.      
  
Weekend Weather

I misheard the weatherman say
There was rain and a chance of lizards this weekend.

I knew I had misheard it, but still.
I knew, too, never to take anything for granted,

Never to assume, which makes you know what
Out of u and me. Thank you

Miss Lee and second grade. What I heard -
It was silly, perhaps, but I looked around anyway

At least once or twice during the day
As I carefully crossed the very dry street.

This is a place of lizards, after all, and the news
As I heard it was not impossible. Blizzards

Somewhere else, but lizards here. Very possible.
My childhood, after all, was made of them.

I remember a summer of migrating tarantulas,
And I think today they would have made the news

Similarly. Rather than mishearing, perhaps
I heard news meant only for me.

Sometimes, that's how the world is,
Speaking in whatever voice it can find.

A chance of lizards for me -
And me ready for them, old friends, old friends.

~ Alberto Rios
         

 


 image: Chino Valley, AZ 2021

No comments:

Post a Comment