Thursday, April 8, 2021

Peony 2, A Lesson in Not Blooming

 I walked by the peony yesterday (the one I have written about before) and as I expected, the blooms are gone.  However, not blooming  does not seem to damper its enthusiasm for being in this world.  

 
When I first began to gather people for meditation, I expected to be reading from either Father John Main, Father Lawrence Freeman, or Father Thomas Keeting.  They all have written much on the subject of Christian meditation.  Yet, I find myself returning to poetry for the sense of space  that poetry so graciously provides.   Such openings are  where we can let the Spirit in.  That is surely why we meditate.  Matthew Fox quotes Meister Eckhart: "The Holy Spirit, the energy of God in us, is the true door."*

Here is the poem I shared this week:  
   
HOW THEN CAN WE ARGUE?  
 
Having lunch in a field one day, I troubled an ant with a 
question. I asked of him humbly, 
 
"Have you ever been to Paris?" 
And he replied, "No, but I wouldn't mind going."  And then he asked me 
if I had ever been to a famous ant city.  And I regretted that I 
hadn't, and was quick to add, "I wouldn't mind, too!"    
    
This led to a conclusion: There is life that we do not know of. 
How aware are we of all consciousness 
in this universe?  
  
What percent of space is this earth in the infinite realm?
What percent of time is one second 
in eternity?   
  
Less than that is our 
knowledge of    
 
God.  
   
How then can we ever 
argue about 
    
Him?   
     
Meister Eckhart  as translated by Daniel Ladinsky 
Love Poems from God     
  
*Mester Eckhart, A Mystic Warrior for Our Times, Matthew Fox, page 48   







  
photograph:  San Leandro, April 2021    


  
If you would like to meditate with us, there are two sessions available:  one on Tuesday afternoon at 2:30 and one on Wednesday evening at 7:30, Pacific Time.  Let me know if you would like the Zoom link.  Blessings on  wherever the Spirit of God takes you.  

No comments:

Post a Comment