Tuesday, May 16, 2017

Singing Over You

If one peruses my traveling Bible, it is pretty easy to see where I must often turn to.  Pages are marked and earmarked in a variety of ways, including colored paperclips. However, there is a section that is remarkably pristine: The Hebrew prophets. I feel too many of their messages are too stern to read to those who are frail and ill.  Therefore, when I received the May 16 Bible verse of the day, I was surprised.  It comes from Zephaniah 3:17-18. We read of God singing over us!  
 
Last Sunday I read from Deuteronomy 32:10 which is from the Song of Moses.  I think it is worth pondering what song God is giving us. What is God singing over you as she spreads her eagle wings and hovers over your nest, guarding you and those you love as the apple of her eye? I baptized a beautiful baby boy that morning.  As I held him in my arms, I did not think to sing, but I did whisper to him that he would be loved forever and that no one could ever take his baptism away; he belonged. Perhaps he did indeed hear a gentle reassuring song of joy because yes, he smiled. Maybe God did as well.  I shall keep listening. I know I felt those wings.    
    
The LORD, your God, is in your midst,
a warrior who gives victory; 
he will rejoice over you with gladness,
he will renew you in his love; 
he will exult over you with loud singing 
as on a day of festival.     
   
Zephaniah 3:17-18  
   
   

No comments:

Post a Comment