Monday, March 4, 2024

Spring in the Neighborhood

My morning schedule opened up because my flute teacher needed to cancel our time together.  Both Covid and our recent rain storms disrupted my walking schedule, so this morning seemed to be a good time to step out. Several people were out in their yards, including one soft spoken man who told me he was from Boston."We are not used to seeing flowers so early in the year." I think he told me that last year as well, but it is true; flowers are erupting everywhere, and people in general were in friendly moods.  
I then walked on and passed a house with a driveway full of children's bicycles and one aluminum boat. A young girl came out. I said hello and asked which bicycle was hers. She pointed to the pink one and then added, just in case I might be confused, that the boat belonged to her dad. Her mom called to her from the front door, so I peeked around the corner, waved and said hello. My mother-in-law lived in that house for a couple of years. In that house the front door and the back door by the kitchen are almost in complete alignment, and on many days, if the doors are open, a cool breeze blows through. I know very little about feng shui, but that design must surely be in good feng shui alignment. We have air conditioning, and I am glad, but I think I will remember that breeze long after I have forgotten about our Carrier heating and air conditioning unit. 
A house a few doors down has the largest ceanothus I think I have ever seen. It is as tall as the house, and covers almost half of it. The bush is right now full of blossoms and is abuzz with bumble and honey bees. I find the sound of bees encouraging.  I am out of practice with photographing bees, but it seemed worth a try. They are definitely doing their work. I then came home to discover that one of the purple lupines in our yard is blooming. 

Neighborhoods, like churches, can be places of healing and connection. I am grateful for where I find myself today. I think Jesus would appreciate both, and yes, I try to make it known that he is always welcome. Even when a sales person comes to the door. Yes, that just happened. Life is a curious thing and I think Jesus has more of a sense of humor than we hear about.    

     



San Leandro, March 2024

No comments:

Post a Comment