Thursday, February 22, 2024

Revisiting

 On Wednesday, I was poking around one of my bookcases again, in search of a poem. Every Wednesday, two friends and I gather. I read a poem, and we then meditate for about 20 minutes, and then I read the poem again. The discussion that follows is always enriching.  

In yesterday's search, I came across a small publication, Sacred Journey, The Journal of Fellowship in Prayer, Spring 2011, vol. 62, no. 2.  I pulled it out, and noticed a bookmark. As I opened the marked page, I remembered that I had a poem published in that publication. I was re-discovering my own poem.    

As I read it, I smiled. The same question I was pondering then, I am still pondering.  What I wrote then I could write today.  I remember writing it in the predawn. I was sitting in the same place I am now. I am writing this not quite as early in the day. I am moving more slowly because of  a case of Covid. This morning there is no rain; the sun is shining. Yet the question remains after all these years. 

I know I shared this poem after I wrote it because first of all that is what I do, and secondly, I remember a friend's written one word response. Her physical health had deteriorated considerably by then, and her one word then, and now seems generous. Her "Wow" still reverberates through the stillness of time. 

*** 

By what name do I call God? Neither this question nor the poem may be completed in my lifetime. This morning it is enough just to love the beautiful light.  
  
This morning I call God Essence
and I call God Rain  
and I call God Coffee, 
strong dark and fortifying 
and Apple, 
the sweet harvest.  
   
I call God Candle, 
that lights my way 
from slumber. 
  
I call God the Book of Meditations 
that calls my heart to the 
Heart that yearns to call us Home. 
   
As I wonder what to call God this morning, 
I hear the answer, 
   
Everywhere. 

***  





   
image was taken in San Leandro, August 2023
   
If you are interested in joining us for Wednesday's lectio, please send me a message.

No comments:

Post a Comment