Tuesday, October 11, 2022

Rhythm of Place, Part 2, San Damiano

 "... the Spirit doesn't really descend from on high but arises through the grassroots and through the body of Christ and through small groups, small communities, and individuals."

Laurence Freeman, OSB, Daily Wisdom, October 11, 2022 

     
Every day last week, I gathered with the community to celebrate the Eucharist. In this silent retreat, I would say that the majority of the people in attendance were Catholic. Even though I certainly knew Father Freeman was Catholic, and yes, we were in a Franciscan retreat house, I still was surprised. After being assured by Father Freeman that he would never withhold communion from anyone, I decided to take part. I am glad I did because I found some healing in the ritual, the words, and the repetition. I was reminded of a conversation I had some years ago with a woman who said that even though she was Presbyterian, there was one Lenten season when she attended mass every day at at Catholic church near her home. She found, as did I, that the daily rhythm of coming together to pray and meditate takes root and you will always feel a longing to return. 

 More and more, I find it strange to identify oneself by the church, temple, or synagogue that we attend. I know traditions and cultures are meaningful and this I respect. Yet, we are more. Our roots are deeper than we realize. This understanding is one of the gifts of meditation. Slowly, the thoughts of "I am this" dissolve, leaving us free to love. 





    
photograph: leaves in a fountain, San Damiano, October, 2022 

No comments:

Post a Comment