Monday, October 25, 2021

A Song Worth Singing

I woke up this morning thinking of the word co-creation. In any good relationship, we are called to co-create with one another. That includes our relationship with the Sacred. God is always creating, and is always willing to be in partnership with us if we make room for God to move with us. 
A few days ago, I visited a skilled nursing community.  Here, we must take a Covid test which means waiting 15 minutes before entering the community further than the reception area. I do not find that time unpleasant, and the pause means that the volunteer and I have some time just to talk and  "catch our breath" as my mother would say. 
Our tests revealed that we did not have Covid and we walked around the corner and stepped into the hallway together. The only person in the hall was Pamela who was singing a Beatles' song with full voice. The volunteer and I joined her in song as we opened the door to the activity room.  The three of us entered with laughter.  
A new musical key was invented that day, but I don't think Pamela gets too involved with such details as staying in tune.  I know nothing of her story, but I suspect that poverty and poor health care have played a part. She is a double amputee and is missing many teeth. Yet, she seems to contain a wholeness  that is worth emulating. I do know she loves to color, and she uses bright colors with abandon. 
The vision of her singing in an empty hallway stays with me. I think she is a rare bird with a song worth joining.  That is what God calls us to do.   

     


    
She says she loves you
And you know that can't be bad
Yes, she loves you
And you know you should be glad
-  

John Lennon and Paul McCartney   
   

photograph: from my front yard, October 2021 

No comments:

Post a Comment