Monday, May 14, 2018

Hope

"Unison Benediction" is one of  the most touching poems I have read in awhile.  I particularly love the image of stiff hands learning new ways to serve. As I begin to settle into a new role of associate pastor for a small community here in the east bay, I find myself experiencing some moments of deep joy as I learn new ways of worshiping and being present to others.  Yes, at times I do feel my stiffness. However, it is my belief that as long as people continue to come together in communities rooted in trying to live in love, we can find healing. Then we can be a healing presence. A first step, however is needed.  We need to show up.    

Yesterday afternoon, I talked with an elder in a retirement community. I found her sitting in the activity room with a single rose in her hand. Staff members had been passing them out to the female residents in the spirit of Mother's Day. She looked quite forlorn, and I learned that all of her adult children had died.  We talked some, and I offered her a song sheet. She refused it, but she did not leave.  By the end of the service she had decided to snip off the end of the rose's stem, and put it in some water.

 Hope.  It is always there, waiting for us to come around. 


Unison Benediction
 
Return to the most human,
nothing less will nourish the torn spirit,
the bewildered heart,
the angry mind:
and from the ultimate duress,
pierced with the breath of anguish,
speak of love.
 
Return, return to the deep sources,
nothing less will teach the stiff hands a new way to serve,
to carve into our lives the forms of tenderness
and still that ancient necessary pain preserve.
 
Return to the most human,
nothing less will teach the angry spirit,
the bewildered heart;
the torn mind,
to accept the whole of its duress,
and pierced with anguish…
at last, act for love.
 
~ May Sarton ~ 



No comments:

Post a Comment